Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 1998 09:07:56 EDT
From:         GMBulley@AOL.COM
Subject:      A/C no place for DIY: was:How much R134A to use in A/C
Comments: To: bfeddish@NETREACH.NET, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-05-26 12:56:39 EDT, bfeddish@NETREACH.NET writes:

<< I got my Castrol R12 to R134A conversion kit today and I'm still waiting for my compressor to arrive. Does anyone know how many cans (lb's) of R134A I'll need to buy? Also, do the cans connect directly to the valves on the hoses or do I have to buy some type of connector.

Thanks, Bryan >>

Bryan--

If you have been on the list for any length of time, you are probably used to hearing me bitching and moaning about "Do-It-Yourself" costing gobbs more in time and money. A/C work is at the top of the list for this mistake.

I don't mean any offense by this, but you don't appear to know much about A/C (I am no pro either). I do know, those "suicide kits", with the little rubber hose and cans of refridgerant make professional A/C folks giggle on the floor. Wasted $$.

The A/C system is full of very expensive parts. Service to it can present some dangerous mistakes. Maintaining top performance (40+ degree temperature drop) requires experience, judgement, and some expensive tools and gauges that are cost prohibitive for the infrequent user. Don't try this at home. Find a pro.

About 4 years ago I wanted my A/C "topped off" with freon. The fellow I took it to knew his stuff, hooked up the gauges/thermometers, checked charts for my car. Turned out I needed to replace a couple of parts. He did it right: replaced the parts, pulled a 25 micron vacuum for a half hour, and pumped my car with exactly the correct amount of oil and Freon, by weight.

Sent me on my way with A/C that had an unbeleivable 44 degree drop! Cost me $225, and was worth every dime. It still has a great drop today, but next week I am going in for an A/C check up. If it is another $225, so what? $54 a year is nothing for A/C that can take 90 degreee air and make it 46 degrees!

Save the money and time. Pay a pro to do this.

gmbulley cary, nc