Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 1998 09:17:06 -0700
From:         John Mates <jmates@ICHIPS.INTEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro without AC without diff lock @ $11K
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Kind readers:

I am looking at a 1986 VW Syncro Westfalia. It is in good condition. Everything works. Nothing leaks, not even the heads. It has 100K miles on the odometer. It has no differential lock, nor does it have AC. The seller is the only owner the car has experienced and he has clearly cared for it well. He wants $11.5 K for it. I want you to tell me if the price is OK.

I want your opinions on how important the lack of a locking differential is to this vehicle's recreational value as well as what effect it should have on the asking price. Similarly, I'd like your thoughts on the lack of air conditioning.

At home, I have a 1986 7 passenger Syncro. It DOES have diff lock. It is in worse condition, however. One head leaks a bit, etc. Mainly, it seems to be a pretty big project to get it to the point where I can hop in and camp on a moment's notice. That is my dream.

I have been wondering whether I can easily substitute the locking diff in the 7 passenger van for the non locking one in the Westfalia.

Any comments would be most welcome.

John Mates, Intel Corp.

RA2-364 5200 NE Elam Young Parkway Hillsboro, OR 97124-6497

jmates@ichips.intel.com (503) 613-5830 #include <std.disclaimer>