Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 1998 12:16:39 -0700
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Big 3
Comments: To: Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

---Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM> wrote: > > Volkswagen said to be eyeing Lamborghini

Good; maybe they'll put out a minivan with some power. :)

> Somebody said one day there will be just GM, Toyota & VW. Seems to be going in > that direction.

What makes it worse is that these are multinational transactions, exempt from antitrust laws because they involve corporations outside of U.S. jurisdiction, which is proving itself somewhat ineffective to begin with, judging from how Bill Gates is still going to come out smelling like a rose. FEH. Worse, an attempt to give the UN, EEC, whatever, trustbusting authority will inevitably come up against considerable resistance.

In short, this is a huge crock of $#!+.

> With such a lack of competition would we still get such niche > machines like westy syncros?

No; you'll have a few SUV models available, and be expected to like them. :( Historically, niche products come from markets that have a lot of competition. For example, take the musical instrument business- highly competitive, but with a steady market. There are at least 15 major manufacturers of guitar amps, and they all narrow-cast their products, as this has proven successful. A duplication of a Marshall plexi or Fender Super Reverb is just that, so instead, a company like MESA/Boogie opts for putting out something completely different- the Triple Rectifiers and such. Bogner amps have their own sound, and independent guys like Buzz Feiten have even more unorthodox offerings. If there were only Fender, Marshall, and Roland, people like me would notice the lack of selection and product quality available.

*HERE'S AN UNPOPULAR (for this list) OBSERVATION:*

Look at the Chrysler minivans! Chrysler brought itself from going out of business to enjoying great (relative) sucess solely on account of their minivans. They were #3, bankrupt, and sold awful products- until they found a niche and filled it. Sales of the dreaded Caravan enabled Chrysler to become a successful business and design and build better products. Remember, of course, that GM and Ford saw no need to do so until after Chrysler showed how successful their niche idea could be. Look at the Dakota pickups, as well. The winner in this scenario was clearly the consumer.

Look at PCs, too. Microsoft has the monopoly on these and the're tedious, unreliable pieces of $#!+ that have such awfully planned obsolescence that it is cause to wonder why Reno didn't take Bill Gates to court any sooner than she did.

Moral of the story: buy used cars, and keep some bikes handy for when you would be just as well if you used them. This is going to get worse before it gets better. FEH.

Sam

P.S. Sorry for the rambling. :( == "Punk's not dead (it just sucks right now)"

...quit whining... http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6507