Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 1998 16:39:25 -0400
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yellow Vanagon
Comments: To: "Bowie, Mark" <72142.3566@compuserve.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 12:48 PM 5/22/98, Bowie, Mark wrote:

>Michael,

>Saw your pictures on the web - you have created my dream van!

>I have a few questions though - How much do you figure you've put into it?

>I'm expecially interested in what the doors and paint cost you. Do you have

>a cost breakdown?

>VERY impressive work.

>Mark Bowie

Do you REALLY want to know?

Hmmm...Let's see:

$12,000 original price from previous owner

$600 MA sale tax

$2,100 Bullbar bumpers/foglights from Germany (incl. shipping/customs)

$1,000 Chrome wheels from Germany (incl. shipping/customs)

$500 five BFG tires mounted & balanced

$1,000 amplifier/front speakers/wiring/relays/optima battery

$500 doors w/ power mirrors/locks/windows (from junkyard)

$1,000 misc. interior/exterior stuff (from junkyard)

$7,500 paint/body work

$1,500 new rubber/seals/labels/vents/mudflaps/insignia for exterior

$300 plugs/wires/rotor/dist cap/synth oil/filters/temp sender/rad resistor

$350 rear-facing seat (yes, I got ripped-off)

_______

$28,250 TOTAL (approx. actually closer to $29k)

Still to do:

- Refrigerator replacement for RM182 (will post with my final choice)

- Awning (thinking Fiamma F45)

- Flourescent ThinLite (the junkyard one I bought from a 91 Westy is bogus)

- 12v interior 2-speed swivel fan

- 6-horn array of stock VW Vanagon horns w/ relay & harness (nice und LOUD, but authentic sounding)

- Euro H4 high beams w/ relay & harness

- Air conditioning conversion to either FR12 or R134

- CD player/receiver/rear speakers (next year)

- TDI engine (next year)

- Vented disk brakes (next year)

- CB radio (next year)

- Solar Panel (next year)

- 110V inverter (next year)

So you ask, why would someone "invest" nearly $40k into a vehicle that only has a book value of $12k? Two possible reasons (take yer pick):

- A fool and his money are soon parted

- It is the only "stock" vehicle ever created that does ALL of the following:

a. camping for 4

b. 4-wheel drive

c. can serve as a daily driver

d. a person can stand up in

Cheers,

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>

'87 GL Syncro Westfalia

work: http://www.openmarket.com