Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 1998 18:00:34 PDT
From:         deandrew <deandrew@SOMTEL.COM>
Subject:      87 Syncro will not run/flooding with fuel
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

A friend of mine's girlfriend just bought a 87 Syncro. Paid $4000.00 with 120K (heads done"epoxied"?), Weekender package, locking diff. (not working) A/C (not working), power windows (passenger side motor bad) power mirrors and locks, rear wiper (busted) cheap tires/good tread, body clean but some rust in the usual places (lives in the salted winters of Maine), exhaust will need attention soon, needs most/all major coolant hoses, metal sections of cooling system need painting/replacing, needs belts.....you get the idea. Probably worth $4000 in parts but IMHO needs alot of special attention and $$$ to make into daily driver. She wants a daily driver.

I have seen it, looked it over pretty well, driven it, rearrange/tied back some fuel (HELP! FIRE!!!FIRE!!!) and coolant hoses that were chafing in the engine compartment, and suggest she find a good mechanic that had a warm spot in their heart for VW's (tough order in NW Maine) or try a dealer that has experiance with Vanagons. Also suggested that she have all fluids changed, tune up, and the noticable drivetrain vibration between 45 and 65 mph checked out.

She took the van to Rowe VW in Auburn Maine (two hours drive) for fluid changes and tune up. Not a happy story. The mechanics couldn't figure out how to get the back hatch unlocked and destroyed the interior panel trying to open it from the inside. They finally gave up and paged her. She returned to the dealer and showed them how to use the key. When they were finished with her, tune up was new plugs and rotor...old cap. Coolant level was over 1/2 gallon low. transmission and front diff drain plugs were obviously not removed so I question if they changed the gear oil in them. They checked out but did not repair diff lock, window, rear wiper, etc. See the cashier....$365.00.....thank you, come again!

She got it home ok but in the morning she pulls out of her driveway and it stalls 100' from her house. She tries to restart but no go. Starter turns engine fine but engine she no run. Pushed gas petal 1/2 way to floor and tries again... still no go. Strong smell of gas outside the van. My phone rings. I agree to stop over after work the next day and have a look but when she tries to start it the next morning it fires right up and runs great for a few short trips and one long (2 hours)over the next couple of days until....it dies in town and has to be towed (I told her flatbed only) to repair shop 25 minutes away. The owner/mechanic there is willing to work on the van. He's well respected as a very good mechanic but not VW specific. He's got a Bentley. He's been given a list of the maintenance things I suggested and The Bus Depot's, Old Volks Home's and Volks-Motorsports' telephone numbers.

The problem; Van still will not start. It's drownding itself with fuel. Gas is running out of the exhaust pipe from repeated tries (with out pressing excellerator). She says he has tried everything except replacing the computer under the back seat.

Note: Everything I know is second hand.

Anyone have any suggestions for the mechanic? I'm going to the archives now but any help would be appreciated while I sort through them.

Andrew Martin '87 Vanagon GL Syncro 167K Stratton, Maine deandrew@tdstelme.com