Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 May 1998 07:36:59 +0200
From:         Jimmy Sanby <sanbyj@TELKOM.CO.ZA>
Subject:      Re: 5 speed WBX transmissions
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

All the 2.6l Microbuses(Vanagons) here(in SA) are five speed. The shift pattern is as indicated below. I will look up in a local magazine to find out the ratio's if anyone is interested.

>>> Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU> 27/May/1998 05:29am >>> ->> >> There are true 'street' 5 spds avail from VW-South Africa, with Audi 5 >> cylinder bellhousings attached. These are the 105mph versions and

All Australian (non syncro or auto) T3s were 5 speed too.Top speed would be about 170kmh (approx 105mph) but I have never had the need to go over about 145kmh.I know someone who reckons he got 178kmh out of one and knowing what he's like he probably wasn't BS-ing.

>-- >Hi: I was wondering what the shift pattern is like with one of these >trannys. Is first in the lower left like the Syncros? If not where is >fifth?> > 1st is indeed on the lower left outside the "H" pattern.5th is below 4th as seen below:

Rev. 2nd 4th . . . . . . ................... . . . . . . 1st 3rd 5th

Fast 1st to 2nd changes take a little getting used to but it's no big deal.I installed one of those fast shifter mechanisms that reduces the distance between shifting gears.Changing gears feels more like a Golf than a van since then. Having a real 5th really makes the best of the waterboxer engine and being able to shift back to 4th down hills with a load on board makes for good engine breaking without having to ride the brakes too.

Steve O. Blue Mountains NSW Aus.

'92 Transporter WBX '76 Crew Cab '68 Beetle >