Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 May 1998 23:48:54 +0000
From:         John Welsh <jwelsh29@IDT.NET>
Subject:      Re: A Different Jack
Comments: To: JordanVw <JordanVw@AOL.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Listees,

Here's a good jack solution. You've all seen the Hi-Lift offroader's jack? Well, the Canadian version is called the Jackall. It's rated at 8,000 lbs and is 48" long, giving an easy 36" or so of lifting. The advantage of the Jackall over the Hi-Lift is that Atlantic British at www.roverparts.com has an attachment called the "Defender 90 bumper adaptor" that fits perfectly into the jack lift holes on a Vanagon.

The disadvantages are that it is more expensive, it is not carried at all the local off-road stores like the Hi-Lift is, and the handle isn't removable, making it more difficult to store.

Slight modifications are necessary in order to store this under the Westfalia seat/bed. I shortened the bar from 48" to 42" using a cutoff wheel. The base must have a 1/4" hole redrilled so the cotter pin will fit the shortened bar. You could shorten the bar less if you wanted. I store the bar way back under the seat, and the rest disassembled in the overpriced jack bag.

This brute will handily lift the entire side (ie, both wheels) of a Syncro Westfalia off the ground. Specter Off-Road at www.sor.com sells an oversize Hi-Lift jack base for jacking on soft surfaces that is easily adapted to the Jackall. And many people add shackles, chains, cables, or whatever, and use these jacks as come-alongs for winching out stuck vehicles. (I have not tried this).

I have no connection with any of these companies. Just passing along a suggestion.

John Welsh, San Diego 87 Syncro Westfalia GL 81 Triumph TR8