Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 May 1998 08:41:01 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: EFI to Carbs
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA

> An up date. I have a 2 barrel progressive carb and after this > weekend's trip I will have run 5 tanks of gas through it and I will > post a message to the list re my average fuel consumption. I can > tell you now that it runs very well, and is VERY simple amd I agree > that 90% of the list discussion becomes irrelevant. > > One problem that was not discussed in today's thread, is a warning > about state emissions tests. If you live in a state with emissions > tests, you will probably fail the tests with Carbs. > > In a few weeks I'll talk with the mechanic (PO) who did the > conversion and I'll get back to every one. If you have specific > quesitons, maybe I can help. > > Malcolm >

Also, of course, there are severe drivability problems with center-mounted carbs on VW engines from car icing. VW vent to fairly long extremes in the old engines to route exhaust gasses up to warm up the intake manifolds. The warm manifolds really hurt performance and gas mileage, but without some form of external heating, the heat losses due to evaporation of the gasoline and the simultaneous expansion of the mixture leaving the carb venturi conspire to drop the intake mixture temperature about 40'F. Wet cool days (fortunately none of these in Canada for Malcolm (^; ) are the worst.

This *kills* people in airplanes -- there is a main control lever to dump hot air into the carbs on planes, and you add carb heat during landings as a precaution (bad time to lose your engine). Old VW's suffer badly from this, but we don't get the info since the lists split. They talk about carb ice as much as we lament FI troubles.

So: If you are not concerned about pollution AND you are comfortable with intricate mechanicals of carbs AND you never drive on cold rainy nights AND you want to spend money making somehthing not stock AND you really hate the FI do it.

Personally, even "after a fire" I'd rather pull the whole system off a junker and fix the FI. But then, I am comfortable with electronics, and I personally find the EFI *easier* to understand. Many folks don't. The EFI also either works, or *fails*, while carbs will soldier on through thick and thin. In Africa, I'd choose a carb. In the US, with free AAA towing only a cell-phone call away, I'd choose EFI. I'm thinking of converting my carbureted cars over, which is much more difficult to do.

Malcolm (a different Malcolm)