Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 May 1998 05:23:33 -0700
From:         Eric Schmedlin <elv15@ROCKETMAIL.COM>
Subject:      I'm stumped!  (misfire)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem that has got me stumped. I have an 82 Westy which has a misfire, both at idle and at rpm. I have a GEX (rebuilt?)engine. My van has 136k? on the speedo. Don't know how may miles on the engine but am guessing around 50k from the looks inside the valve covers.

So far to correct this miss I have tried the following: 1. Tune up(new cap, rotor, points, condenser, wires, plugs, air filter.) set timing 7.5 BTDC. Adjusted valves. 2. Dismantled and lubed breaker plate and mechanical advance in distributor. 3. Adjusted air flow meter on an emissions machine. Mine was tampered with by the PO and was running VERY rich. It cleaned up pretty good though. 4. Also, tried another air flow meter and with the AFM disconnected. Just to make sure. Still had the miss. 5. Checked FI wiring. Especially #11. Ran separate wire from #11 multiconnector to the body. 6. Checked compression and did leakdown test. Both good. 7. Checked fuel pressure at idle and at rpm. both good. 8. Checked injectors. Seem to have a good spray pattern. Possible that one is sticking and so ordered new ones anyway. (thanks Ron.) 9. Set Full throttle enrichment switch. 10. New cylinder head temp sender. 11. Checked for vacuum leaks. Replaced a few hoses. still might be a leak somewhere...but I think I was pretty thorough. (of interest, found a screw inside a vacuum line!. It was between the deceleration valve and the fuel pressure regulator. Had to have been put there on purpose. Hmmm.) 12. The auxiliary air regulator seems to be fine. The cold start valve is fine. 13. The EGR is disconnected and plugged. 14. I did have a problem with a lifter which was collapsing, but fixed that. Cam seems to be ok. (I would think that if the cam was bad the miss would be more regular. But it misses randomly. I can really feel the miss when I drive. and you can hear it when you listen to the engine both at idle and at speed.[it's hard to hear when I'm driving])

I have had some local mechanics help me diagnose what the problem could be...but they are stumped too! If anyone of you has any clue as to where to turn next, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I am ready to send this thing to the compactor! I think my van has a curse...it certianly has me cursing!

Thanks for reading :) I really just need to share my frustrations!

Eric