Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 May 1998 08:59:58 -0700
From:         Kw <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Securing the guide pin (shifter linkage)
Comments: To: Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Howdy all,

Tom Young Wrote: Got exactly one response to my request for help in securing the guide pin against the transmission; I suspect that reflects the fact that maybe 1 in 1,000 van owners ever mess with this thing. --------------------------- Make that 2:1000. I recently re-worked my linkage on the 82 when I had trouble getting into first gear. It shifts quite nicely now. Today the Van gets new Tranny oil.

Tom Sez: The problem with this theoretical solution is that the rubber boot (if you have one) so thoroughly covers the guide pin that there's no way in the world you're going to get a wrench on the "nut" without tearing the boot apart. ----------------------- Cut the tie and the boot will move or tear the rubber boot off and replace it. Mine was torn and mostly missing allowing dirt to get in and making shifting difficult. The boot was all of $8 bucks at the dealer and they actually had it in stock. Once the boot is off you will have easy access to the second nut. You can also grease it all up while you are there. My pin was slightly curved, which the dealer parts guy thought I should replace Price about $45 (obsurd) I kept my old one and used lots of grease and all is well.

Tom: (Practical solution) I pushed the rubber boot back far enough that I could grab the guide pin with my vice grips. Since the relay lever rides on the guide ring and can't see that this procedure could damage anything. -------------- Probably won't hurt anything. My guide rings had slipped off its seat allowing a lot of play in the lilnkage, hence no first gear. Ken Wyatt 82 Westy