Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 May 1998 10:06:09 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Lowering Coolant Temp./Pressure
Comments: To: vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

After reading all the replies to this idea, it occurs to me that the set up does not really alter the standard, mid-range operating temp much if any. It just shifts the temp. range within which the vehicle operates downward, but only the extremes change...the mid-range operating temp is still within specs.

The cooler thermostat just means that it will open sooner....and thus the pressure within the engine coolant loop will not get as high as it would with a regulat thermostat since the temp will not get as high before the thermostat opens. Once the vehicle warms up to freeway operating temps., I do not see how the cooler thermostat will have any effect. It will be open, just like the stocker would be, cept maybe in cold winter temps.

By lowering the temp at which the fan kicks in by ten degrees, you just lower the peak opeating temp...but not the normal highway operqating temp. By keeping the max temp of the engine 10 degrees cooler, you reduce the max pressure within the coolant system as well, but you don't really change the normal, mid-range operating temp.

The overall effect is to lower the peak pressures the coolant system experiences under the stock set up. General operating temp. might be a little lower due to the thermostat, but I generally do mostly highway driving...and slow off road driving. Under these conditions, I think the difference in actual operating temp once the vehicle warms up will be negligible, or none. Only the peak temp. will be lower. (As it is now, my fan only comes on in traffic jams or in tough off road conditions.)

I was considering this as a means of getting some more time out of my head gaskets...by lowering the stress they experience under peak pressures and maybe throwing in some aluma-seal (but i'm still not sure about that as a preventative measure.). However, my latest inspection of the heads reveals some traces of creeping corrossion at the head gasket junction...which means if I want to save the heads and not have to replace them, but only the gaskets, I better go in there soon and do it. Of course, if I need a rebuilt transaxle, the heads will have to wait.

I am not unduly disturbed, yet, by these major maitenance items. The van is eight years old and has 95,000 miles, has never failed me or broken down and has not needed much at all in the way of parts or repairs. It's just time for some mid-life maitenance. It's still like a new vehicle. I expect to keep it for another 50,000 miles. It will still be in really good shape even then with 150,000miles. My toyota pick up, on the other hand, which is the same year and has almost the same mileage as the van has aged quite a bit more and is clearly beyond its prime...it'll soon be ready to enter the secondary junker/boomber market.

steve