Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 May 1998 14:14:05 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <dboehler@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: I'm stumped! (misfire)
Comments: To: Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

------------------- Hi Jim and list, Sorry for the local terms but I have been studying my "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Managemet" book. It uses the term "wide open throttle" so do many non vw manuals ( most are for cars made in the midwest) instead of the Bentley term 'full throtte enrichment " and I guess I have worked on many non vws and the lambda sensor is more often referred to as an ego sensor (exhaust gas oxygen) or hego (heated exhaust gas oxygen). I'll try to stick to Bentley terms in the future. I have put a California 81 van ecu , ignition , and ignition electronics on my son Toms 78 westy. Had some great help from fellow type2 listee Karl Von Salzen. This is a good, straight forward, and reasonably easy modification to get going. I used a heated oxygen sensor on it and have found the old bus has better driveability gets more mpg . Also it runs cleaner and can better adapt to varying grades of gas sold in various parts of the country. While on that subject, I just got back from a California vacation and my 86 westy doesn't seem to run as strong on Colorado or California low octane gas as midwestern. You people need to add some more corn squeezins to your petro. Your high octane gas seemed to run ok. Maybe the solution here is to install a digifant ecu that uses use a knock sensor. My son near SLO on the left coast has a 540 beemer that has over 10 to 1 engine compression ratio and can use low octane gas. It uses a distant cousin to our vw digifant called a bosch motronic . I think the knock sensor and knock sensor electronics is a good thing and probably would help our beloved vans with a little more power. Probably not worth the expense and trouble but does anyone know of any vws that use a digifant with the knock sensor, and a good easy way to jump the compression ratio to 10-1 on a wasser boxer.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois