Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 May 1998 21:20:11 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stumbling problems
Comments: To: Maureen Stretch <mstretch@SPRINTMAIL.COM>,
          Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Maureen wrote:

> Two dealers, and another trip to mechanic and $617 poorer and sadder, = > the loss of power > and hot start problems persist. Thanks to all of you who warned me = > about the dealers > (one could not take the Vanagon on the day I had an appointment = > because I got there late > because of stalling, the other charged me $168 for a wiring harness = > and $209 for the > =B3labor=B2 to install it.) One of the two dealers screwed the oil = > cap on too tight and may > <big snip>

Hi Maureen.

For openers, git yourself to the local cheap tools place (home depot, k-mart, target etc.) and pick up a cheap digital multimeter. S/B < $25 Then turn to page 24.61 of your Bentley, open up the engine cover and perform the tests. You'll spend about 20 minutes to half an hour doing this and you will KNOW if you have a fuel injection/ignition problem. (BTW, in my Bentley, step 6 is missing the page ref. The chart is on page 24.32.) The ECU plug is located just in front of the driver's side tail light. (I may be wrong here, but if so, I'm sure that someone will correct me. I own earlier vanagons.) Lift (or pry) up the top latch while hinging the connector down. (Note: since your van IS running, you can safely bypass the following steps: 1, 2, 3 & 4) If all tests within specs, then the problem lies elsewhere.

(Upon rereading your post, I'd be inclined to have the catalytic converter checked out. Internal matrix may be breaking up, plugging the exhaust. Relatively common problem.)

That $25 and half hour of your time will be rewarded when you are able to tell your "mechanic," with confidence, what the results were and what faults were indicated. It will also negate any "dumb woman" attitude that he/she may have. More power to the educated consumer! If you find that you need any more assistance, don't hesitate to drop a note in my mailbox.

At your service,

Jim Arnott Union, OR