Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 May 1998 08:41:01 8
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driving with LP appliances on
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>, vanagon@vanagon.com

> Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 12:25:54 -0700 > From: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM> > Subject: Re: Driving with LP appliances on

> The fridge does not go out at highway speeds. It works great. An > unusual wind current may once a year blow mine out, but that is rare and > not related to the speed of the vehicle. >

While I too have been known to drive with propane on, I try avoid it when possible, based not so much on safety concerns (though they may indeed be valid) as on operational concerns. IMO, driving with the fridge in propane mode raises two concerns:

1) Movement of the vehicle will cause the liquid propane in the tank to slosh around, "slugging" the regulator with liquid propane instead of the gaseous propane it was designed to handle. This can cause substantial - though brief - over-pressurization in the fuel supply line to the fridge resulting in a too-rich, sooty flame condition.

2) High speed air movement around the vehicle while traveling at highway speed may affect the delicate supply and exhaust pressurization differential at the refrigerator burner vent. Once again, this may affect the air/fuel mix, causing abnormal combustion, generating excessive soot or other combustion by-products, fouling the burner.

Both the owner's manual and Dometic service manuals make it clear that proper ventilation is both critical and difficult to achieve. Leaks around the vent housing, unequal lengths in the supply and exhaust tubes or even failure to seat the burner drain valve properly are all cited as potential causes of combustion problems. It seems reasonable to assume that driving 50+ MPH down the highway would be at least equally perturbing to the combustion air flow.

The net result - soot, or other by-products - from either effect will accumulate in the burner, causing it to foul prematurely. Ultimately the accumulation of crud in the burner results in lighting problems and flameouts. True, easy enough to fix - just pull the unit and clean the burner and flues. But if you're lazy (like me) or if you take it to a dealer and pay the $100+ service charge, avoiding the problem in the first place is perhaps not too great a price to pay for the minor inconvenience of switching it to 12V when on the road.

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com