Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 May 1998 15:47:32 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot luggage rack seal and wind noise
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>I've noticed the same problem. When driving across CA680 through Susuin (known >for its high winds) Enough air passed under the luggage rack to cause it to >start vibrating. I agree that it appears that the top seal had the bulb like the >rear one, that this problem would be eliminated.

Frankly this is old news, we've been here before, the origional seal is a SEAL all the way round, identical contour not merely a cover strip on the front. When I bought my first such seal from WCM 5-6 years back, when they first started selling them they gave you identical bulb pieces all the way round and a correctly contoured glue on piece for the top front of the pop-top, then I noticed I didn't need to pay the ludicrous price anyway when you can order the stuff by the foot for about $1.75/ft from McMasterr-Carr (do a search) which may even still be less than Bus Depots price (maybe not Ron's prices are/were pretty good on this for various reasons 8-) But the McMasterr-Carr does have the pebble finish (As did mine from WCM). Anyway I've noted before I doubt the sense in installing something without the bulb around the front end for air reasons, BUT it might be superior for drainage out from under the rack, or it might be worse cause windshield water will blow up under and back to the canvas. VW sealed the joint, I have as well on all my Westies.

John vwbus@mindspring.com