Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 May 1998 09:57:47 -0700
From:         marcus <marcus46@FREEWWWEB.COM>
Subject:      Re: rear wheel noise
Comments: To: Sara <Sara@FREEHOLDER.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Bill, you know Murphy's law right? The reason the noise has decreased after you jack the wheel off the ground is because you just took about 1000 pounds off that wheel. Sounds like you have found the problem but I will explain Steve S law later. Cost per wheel materials is $50. Thats two bearings and two seals. Labor in TX is $60 per wheel. Now since this wheel bearing is going bad don't you think the other will follow shortly. You bet it will since the same load apply to both wheels. Total for both wheel is about $220 for a pro to do it. OK you want to do it. You need to get a 12 point 22mm wrench and a 35mm socket for about $40. And of course your basic tools you probably already have. So now you have the manual and your ready to go. You get the first drum off and find brake fluid on the shoes cause the cyc is leaking a little bit Yes here comes Murphy. The shoes have uneven wear because of the brake fluid leak. The drum needs to be turned and of course you can't just turn only one drum. Cost of a new brake cyc is about $13. and yes you have to bleed the brakes. Then you notice the brake fluid is black oh well now have to replace the brake fluid with new. By the way is supposed to be done every 2 years. Ok now 8 hours over 3 days the job is done. Now for the test drive click ckick click. Now wait a minute I know I had a bad bearing I could move the tire a little on the bearing. But maybe the 35mm nut just needed to be tighten about .25 of a turn.

BTDT= Been there done that IHTM= It happen to me IKTF= I know the feeling

That bring us to Steve S law. Find a good Vanagon mechanic you can trust. He has probably seen it all. We all can bring a lot to the table but we're not there with you. In other words we can't feel it ,touch it or hear it. Vanagon noise is a trip and each one of us might hear it differently. Good Luck