Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 May 1998 17:00:37 -0400
From:         George Averill <averill@LDL.NET>
Subject:      Blinking Light in 84 Camper (Continued)
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

I plan to do an exploatory operation on my 84 van in a few days to get to the bottom of the blinking red light. Before I do this I need some ideas from all of you technically minded fellows.

Question: Exactly what conditions will cause the red light to blink? What sensors are involved?

The owners manual (pp.28-29) says, "The needle in the water temperature gauge will indicate the temperature of the coolant shortly after the ignition is switched on.

Engine operating temperature will vary with climate, traffic conditions and engine load. Maintain moderate speed until the engine has warmed up.

When the engine is working hard and in stop-and-go-traffic, the needle can show a very high temperature, but this is not serious as long as the warning light does not flash.

For a bulb check the red light in the water temperature gauge will flash for about 3 seconds when the ignition is turned on.

If the light flashes while driving, the engine may be overheated because of low coolant level or V-belt damage. Move the vehicle a safe distance off the road, stop the engine and depress the emergency flasher switch.

The fan should be operating when the warning light is on (listen for fan, located in front of car behind grille).

If a visual check shows that coolant level and V-belt are normal, but the warning light continues to flash, contact your nearest dealer to have the cause located and corrected."

On page 63, the manual says, under checking coolant level, "...The expansion tank is equipped with an electric doolant level checking device. When the coolant level is too low, the warning light in the water temperatue gauge (see page 30) will flash until the coolant level has been restored to normal."

Now, from reading this and other information, I assume the following:

1. Low water level in the expansion tank will cause the light to blink. (detected by the two sensors sticking in the tank. The resistance between them goes up when they are out of the water.)

2. The wrong percent of antifreeze/water solution will cause the light to blink. (This came from a tech. bulletin in the archives.)(This also changes the resistance between the two sensors sticking in the tank.)

3. When the water is low, and the light starts to blink, whatever causes the light to blink also turns on the fan. (I'm not sure about this one.)

4. Temperature over a certain degree? (I'm not sure if this is true.) Does the water temperature sensor located on the engine trigger this? Does the temp. sensor on the engine for the computer trigger this? Does the temperature swich on the radiator trigger this? Maybe temperature doesn't trigger it at all, just low water level. Maybe they all trigger the red light to come on. Maybe the computer triggers it to come on. Does anyone know for certain?

3. When the high fan speed comes on? (not sure about this either). I know that when the air conditioner is turned on, the fan automatically comes on. I'm not sure if it comes on in high speed mode or low speed mode. Does anyone know? Is it normal for the fan to be turned on whenever the AC is turned on, or has someone besides VW wired the camper this way? I have a camper with the AC blower in the back rather than in the grill.

The problem would be simple to solve if the Bentley had a schematic diagram of the electronic circuits that control the light rather than just a wiring diagram. Does anyone have a copy of the electronic circuit that is used?

We can solve this problem for all times if everyone will work together on this one.

George