Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 May 1998 12:55:12 EDT
From:         Cory Zumbrennen <Benjita@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbie has Westie & Vanagon Questions.
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

In a message dated 98-05-30 12:53:32 EDT, Benjita writes:

<< Cory Zumbrennen <Benjita@AOL.COM> >2.1L engine. Smaller improvements include improved braking, Digifant (is this >an improvement??), re-routed coolant hoses, Syncro available, PW, PL, PM, >square headlights, skylight in the Westfalias...... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why are square headlights an improvement?

I have never experienced the lighting on '85 or earlier van, but could only assume that the lighting is better using the low beams. But are they better on high beams as well? Regardless, my original comment was based on appearance. I think that the square headlights _look_ a lot better, even if they are not as efficient. I would say the same thing about the fiberglass bumpers. In a practical sense they are terrible, they crack easily and cost a fortune to replace. But they _look_ much better and I consider them an improvement over the steel ones. Just my opinion....your opinion may vary:-)

>IMHO, all Vanagon's require a lot of attention, no matter whether it's a 7 >passenger or a Syncro Westfalia. So buy something that excites you and

I disagree, I have not had to give my '91 Camper that much attention that I would consider it excessive at all. Unless you consider washing it frequently 'excessive attention'. It's true that the heads eventually need new gaskets, but that's not a frequent task.

I change the oil every 2,500 miles and every 30K do the tune-up thing. At 108K miles, I'm still waiting for my first head gasket leak. I drive mine daily and don't really understand why you say they 'all' need alot of attention? >>

In this case I am biased towards my personal experience. I have owned 3 Vanagons and they have all had over 100K miles on them. Perhaps I have just bought previously neglected vans. But they all had Digifant problems due to some sort of corrosion or a bad sensor or a faulty design(AFM needs a $100 harness). By that mileage head gasket leaks are emminent(sp?), power steering rack and pump are getting pretty used, coolant hoses are begining to rot, CV's start to click. It seems as though some Vanagons have a tough year or two in their life where all sorts of things are going bad and need attention. Give them the attention and they will me happy once more for several years. I buy the vans that need attention, because the ones that don't cost a fortune around here. So it seems that in a broad sense there are three catagories of Vanagons. Those that have not needed attention yet, those that are in desperate need of attention, and those that have gotten the attention that they needed. Considering the fact that the newest Vanagon is 7 years old, *most* Vanagon's are going to fall into the latter two categories, and you are going to have to pay them more mind than say a Golf with the same mileage.

Then there is the whole consideration of how much more difficult it is to find a competent mechanic who knows Vanagons, finding parts for Vanagons, paying for parts for Vanagons. All of this takes more dedication from the owner than your comprable Golf.

I like this state of affairs. It means that in the future the only ones that will have Syncro Westfalias (okay so I'm a big Syncro Westfalia booster) are the ones who are willing to spend time and money on them. The only people who will do this are the people who really enjoy using them. And I won't have to see anymore ads about the '91 Syncro Westfalia with 60K miles with the plastic still over the sink and refrigerator. Not that I wouldn't like to buy one, like if I won the lottery or something;-)

bye,

Cory >>

[message/rfc822]