Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:38:48 -0700
From:         Nathaniel Merrill <nmerrill@PARAMETRIX.COM>
Subject:      More Space found! (in a vanagon/westy at least)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hello all, Just wanted to let you in on a little project I just completed on My westy. A while ago I was cleaning the swivel plate for the front seat (took it off) when I noticed just how large the space under it was. I wanted access to this space and decided to (for those who cringe at the thought of saws and westys read no further) cut off that little flange which is covered by the carpet under the front of the seat -where the release for the swivel seat comes out. I used a jig saw and cut a neat hatch out which I will put back with hinges and a magnetic cabinet clasp. This is only a thin face plate and has little if any structural capacities. On one side I put the large amplifier the PO had mounted behind the drivers seat on the cabinet-effectively hiding all of it and the wires which went to it. I intend to install a small fan for temperature control if future observations warrant it. The space under the passenger seat will either get the 6-disk changer I have also mounted on the cabinet (It will fit no problem) or be kept as a great map/book/Case logic hiding space. This would completely hide all traces of the stereo beyond the tape deck in the Dash (and the extra speakers I guess). With the carpet in place over the new hatch this area is virtually hidden for those things which you definitely don't want stolen in case of break in (how many CDs were in your 100 disc case logic?) or otherwise found in a raid (.....). On that note this info should be keep from any one who should not know! One thing I did notice while doing this was that the Auxiliary battery box is not vented like the starter battery box is. Seems to me this is a bad thing. Also the vent (out ) hose for the starting battery was not sealed in the hole through the underbody at all. Is there supposed to be a grommet or something on here? Otherwise I will silicone it... Bye. Nat Sunny (today) Seattle