Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:34:07 +0100
From:         "Woodcock, Frank" <f.woodcock@UNISON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Oil

All the information I have read suggests the following:-

Following an engine rebuild (tight piston rings and metal wearing) Flush and change oil at 300 miles, flush and change at next 1,000 miles and 3,000 miles thereafter.

The use of synthetic oil enables longer gaps between oil changes however it is more expensive. Not worth the extra money unless time or oil change costs are significant.

Most people say use 20W-50 as this covers most cold starting conditions. When the engine is warmed up, the oil is less viscous and most of its job in air cooled engines is to keep the engine temperature down. (They should really call them oil/ air cooled as the oil cools the engine and the air then cools the oil)

In winter if it is VERY cold outside stay indoors with a beer :) or use 15W-40.

On older engines 50,000 + miles

Thinner oil can cause oil leaks through the rubber seals that are getting 'hard and brittle'.

Unless you suffer a cold climate use cheap 30W. The engine is nice and loose so friction and therefore lubrication at start up is less vital. More important is the oil cooling the engine.

I use a Halford's branded 20W-50 to avoid getting really cheap recycled oil. (old oil that has been reprocessed and costs about half as much and is a quarter as good). Halfords is a large UK motor supermarket chain and their 'own brand' is inexpensive. I avoid the multi-national brands like Mobile, Castrol as their high prices gives my old engine no significant benefit and besides which, why pay for extra to cover their huge advertising and promotion costs.

My experience. My 1981 camper van has a replacement 2.0 litre air-cooled with unknown mileage but it turns easy so it must be loose It sounds a bit 'slappy' when cold and OK when warmed up. I reckon it has the compression and resulting acceleration matching an old tractor. The top speed is 70 mph for short downhill bursts and it normally cruises at between 55 - 65 mph, good enough for most journeys. I do however have an oil leak which needs watching.

It uses about two pints every 300 miles. Now I have calculated that this means that oil change can be done every 6,000 miles instead of the recommended 3,000 miles. It is a bit like a blood transfusion - new oil in to replace the mixture of old and new oil lost. This means that I should get through the summer OK and then have the seals fixed in the winter when I use the camper van less.

If this sounds risky , it isn't. I check the oil level regularly and keep it between the two notches on the stick. The engine is nice and loose. I use an old plastic box to collect the dripping oil when parked up.

Pictures and history of my camper van can be seen at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mpages/motor.gif