Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:20:27 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Source for Koni shocks in BC?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

On 4 Jun 98 at 13:28, Steven X. Schwenk wrote:

> KYB's use cheaper materials and an inferior design. Mine seem to make a > noise when they top out. Also, the dampening is not good...they try to > compensate by using too much gas pressure. As a result, the shocks are > not very responsive and consequently additional load/work is transfered > to the front suspension, thus throwing the whole system a little askew. > This is why you can buy them for $25 each down here. Wholesale I think > they're about $12-15. They're a cheap shock painted up and charged with > gas to give the appearance of being a performance product when they are > not. > > steve

That's a pretty strong criticism for what seems to be considered a decent shock in the VW (auto) performance club (albeit not as good as Koni). Euro Car has always talked of them in the same terms as Boge, and a notch below Koni/Bilstein in performance and price, or at least that was my impression.

Are you saying that KYBs are just not up to the kind of torture a heavy beast like a Westy throws at them? The problem is I kind of told BowWow to get me a set of KYBs, but if they are really junk, I'd rather know now. I am really afraid to deal with US mail order, mainly because of customs and duty, not the dealers themselves. I figure I can probably double the US cost by the time I get it here, which means about $55-60 each for KYB - BowWow can get them for $60 CDN. BowWow swears they have no complaints with KYB, and will honour the lifetime warranty.

Should I hold off and try to find Koni or Boge? I've never even seen a price for either of these in the US or Canada... Help!!

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School 250-743-6240 swright@sls.bc.ca