Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:56:45 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What food to take in a Westie
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

> Subj: What food to take in a Westie > From: KENWILFY@AOL.COM > > ... I was wondering what different kinds of food you folks who > have used your camper alot would suggest to take on a trip... > Also what cooking utensils would you recommend? ... > > Ken Wilford

Well, we've made exactly one camping trip in our Westfalia, so that makes me a font of wisdom :-) We've tent camped a fair amount though (before we got the camper), and have done a number of "lunch outings" in the van

I'd reccomend 2 pots, rather than just one, unless you just like "one dish meals". We usually seem to need the second pot.

I strongly reccomend non-stick pots and skillet - you really don't want to spend your vacation trying to scrub crud out of a pot in that itty-bitty camper sink. We've got a nice non-stick skillet with a folding handle; we're still working on finding cheap and compact (folding or removable handle) non-stick pots.

We just bought a small square griddle because the skillet was only so-so for pancakes, and besides, we wanted the bacon in the skillet. Haven't tried it out yet, though.

We decided to go with paper cups and paper plates pretty much all the time - again to avoid doing much dish washing. A campfire is the ideal way to dispose of them when you're done. (A wastebasket works too, of course). For that reason, we always get paper, rather than styrofoam. We use mostly "cheap" paperplates, but keep some "nice" ones on hand, too, for stuff that soaks through cheap ones. We also keep a few plastic mugs, bowls, and plates around. (Mugs for hot stuff, bowls because paper bowls are hard to find, and plates because sometimes you want a real plate.)

Go with real silverware - it's usually pretty easy to wash (just soak in a big cup), and much nicer than plastic.

As for food, you can't go far wrong with: - Your favorite pasta, and some sauce to dump over it. Unopened jar of sauce doesn't need refrigeration, which is nice. Maybe some ground beef or meatballs to throw in the sauce. - Rice, some chicken pieces to cook, and a sauce to pour over it. A unopened jar of "Chicken Tonight" sauce will keep without refrigeration, if you don't want to make your own sauce. - Box of Bisquick, and miscellaneous other ingredients - pancakes for breakfast. Even easier, get Bisquick's (or somebody else's) "just add water and shake" pancake mix - then you don't have to carry eggs and such. (It's slightly more expensive, and not quite as good, but it's compact and easy.) Some sort of syrup. - Bacon, to go with the pancakes. - Hotdogs, to cook over campfire. Buns, etc. - Cereal and milk, for an easy breakfast. - Maybe some muffins and butter to go with the cereal. Warm them up by the fire. - Cans of tuna, or similar canned meat, to make sandwiches for lunch. Deli meat's fine too, of course, but canned stuff doesn't need refrigeration. - Cookies are about as easy as you can get for dessert. - Canned vegetables. (Frozen vegetables won't stay frozen very long, of course.) - Cans of soup. Compact, easy to cook, infinite variety available. - Potatoes to bake in foil in the fire. - Box of Tuna Helper, for when you're feeling lazy.

Corn on the cob is nice camping food, but bulky to carry. (We usually take it anyway.) We also seem to go through a lot of milk, orange juice, and Coke.

My wife often pre-cooks a Chinese meat-and-vegetables dish to put over rice, and we keep a tub of it in the fridge.

Cooking utensils we use the most: - Spatula - A couple of big spoons - Tongs, or, if you can handle them, chopsticks. - One "sharp" knife (as opposed to a table knife).

Everything's plastic or wood, because of the non-stick pans.

Also: - Scripto disposable butane fire lighter, for lighting the stove (or anything else you feeel the need to set fire to). Lasts a long time, and costs about $2.

And, of course, giant bags of potato chips, pretzels, and stuff made of chocolate. But you said "healthy", so pretend I didn't mention these.

-Steven Sittser