Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:07:36 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Source for Koni shocks in BC?
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The initial post asked for some comparative analysis on shocks. The KYB's are fine as a general replacement shock, but they are second-rate compared to the more expensive konis and bilstiens when it comes to performance. On a syncro, the KYB stiffness (which is really "unresponsiveness") is more of a problem because you cannot put KYB's up front. Hence, the suspension is unbalanced and the weak fronts are taxed even more. It is thus even more desirable with a syncro to have a responsive shock in the rear that does not shirk its work by being "stiff" and transferring the burden to the front.

I suspect you sell dozens of the KYB's a week because they are cheap, not because they are the best shock. I got the 12-15 wholesale price from the list. I guess I should buy the bilstiens elsewhere? steve