Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:51:50 -0500
From:         Tom Brunson <tabrun@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      EV Troubleshooting - VW1551 substitute
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

For those EV owners with engine / transmission problems; often the solution can be found by checking the control computer with the "VW 1551" scan tool - if you have one. The Austin dealer charges $90 just to hook one up.

Today I got a great substitute. CarComp (www.carcomp.com) makes a software program and serial cable adapter that connects to the later VW diagnostics ports and gives a "plain English" readout of fault conditions and engine parameters. It can also serve as a data acquisition unit and log data to disk for a couple of hours while you drive. Cost is $400 - $500 depending whether you want adapters for early 90s VW.

An hour after I got mine it found the cause of my VR6 EV jumping to high idle after idling for a long time in hot weather with the AC on. When hot the alternator output drops, and at idle with the AC on the voltage at the control unit slowly drops to 12 V & lower - then the idle speed jumps from 680 to 970 until you shut the engine off. Curious that the alternator light never comes on, and the control unit doesn't log this as a fault. Thanks to the data acquisition logging I've got graphs proving the problem.

I have no connection with CarComp - just think it's a good deal and may solve some problems. I think I'll see if I can rent mine to the local VW shop.

Next to find a similar logger for the Digifant....let's see: data acquisition card, connector adapters,...?

Tom Austin, TX '87, '91, '97