Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jun 1998 19:43:20 -0400
From:         David Raistrick <keen@FINALLY.ATLASTA.NET>
Subject:      BOTBR IV, the ongoing saga!
Comments: To: Type2 List <type2@type2.com>, Vintage Bus <vintagebus@type2.com>

Ahh....To recap the highpoints of this years Buses on the Blue Ridge...(and to update/clear up rumors/etcetc)

I rolled in around midnight Friday...loop B was full, A had a half dozen buses already, and C was overflowing...

There was a Rialta there, Friday night...it left Sat. morning, though.

My starter flaked out on me, on the way up...Beat it well and good saturday, and it's doing fine so far...Gotta toss a spare in the bus, though..

Met Joel, and Ken, and Blake, and David Schwartz, and Richard Palmer, and the guy with the crazy headlight problem..And lots more, too...Plus the listees I already knew......Oh. And that guy who crammed the 2 liter Type 4 engine into the 65 Kombi, and is moving to Texas....I have to say, it was VERY well done. Not complete yet, and still needs some here and there, but good. (there were 2 late loafs being pushed by uprights, too...one had sheetmetal covering the gap, the other didnt....)

I hear Steve Dolan lost a head, or something...Didnt make it...Anyone know anything?

For the most part, the cops didnt hassle to much, though I hear C loop got a visit..

But the OTHER cop story, on the other hand, has yet to conclude..

For those that only heard rumor, or just wanna know what's going on:

David Martin got hauled in, ~6-6:30 Saturday..DUI. Dumb*ss (I say this with the most love, of course...) On Nat. Park Property (Blue Ridge Pkwy), too..

James Smyth (Dave's roomie) stayed sunday night, going to go down Monday morning, and drag him out (we hope..) after Dave sees the Judge..

Dave and James brought both the 71, and the 67...Dave's 67 had NO brakes, when I went to fetch it to keep it from getting towed....And both buses were loaded with kids (age 14-early 20'sish) who had to be back in Hartwell, or Athens, monday morning...

James generator in his 71 imploded, and shed it's coils inside itself...locked up good.

I ran into Ashville, tried to chase down an gen, but no luck. (plan was to take the 71 back to Hartwell (whats his name, driving it..), and I follow, to make sure they make it...They just arnt bus folk, ya know? Dont want them stuck on the side of the road w/ a busted fan belt, or sumthin...) and split the load, too...

So we ended up fixing the brakes (well, fixing is an overstatment, but we got it to stop..) on the 67, and took it back to Hartwell...Kim from Charlotte stayed, for company and to give James a ride...They were to pick up a gen. this morning, I guess...

We left there sometime after 5...After fighting the 67's engine to get it running better....

Hit Hartwell right around 9, tossed everyone out, and I kept mooving, on to Augusta..

rolled into the yard about 10:30, showered, and died.

I think we had around 105 buses...It was unofficially announced at the awards gathering that it was 103, but that was before Dave and James showed up...(well, James...)

Oh, and I won a notepad. Hmm..:)

I guess that's about it....Jeff and Denise (not on the list...) got most in need of restoration (only splits could apply, it being a NEATO event, and all....), and a lovely 67 from Canada got Favorite, or something...Somebody from AZ got longest drive....

later folks...

-- David Raistrick '69 Westy-Itchigo keen@finally.atlasta.net '82 Westy-Baby Maxine (Mom's) '66 SO-44 Westy (coming soon!) in Augusta Ga