Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jun 1998 19:34:17 EDT
From:         Kim Brennan <Kim@AOL.COM>
Subject:      '86 Syncro Trip Summary
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Well, I got back to my home port (Virginia suburbs of DC) after driving across the country. Just short of 4000 miles. This trip started in Manhattan Beach, California (walking distance from the Pacific) and proceeded to cross the US of A, mostly on I-10, through Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson, Tombstone, Bisbee), New Mexico (La Cruzes (?)), Texas (El Paso, Ft. Stockton, San Antonio, Houston), Louisiana (Baton Rouge, New Orleans), Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. Once in Florida I detoured down I-75 to Tampa, visiting my father for a day and a half (and getting a good sushi meal on Friday), then started the trip north.

Originally, I had planned to take I-75 to Atlanta and Tennessee, but was feeling somewhat tired and eager to begin repair work on those items that I had identified as needing attention, so around Gainesville, I cut over to US 301 and did my zig across Florida towards the northeast. I then used I-10 one last time to get onto I-95 and head north.

I caught a bunch of Thunderstorms in South Carolina (and the syncro performed like a tank in the wet.) I also wonder if the previous own had used something on the windshield as the rain just vanished off it leaving me with incredibly fine visibility during some very heavy rain.

Stayed overnight in North Carolina before rolling in front of my house at around 3:30pm on Sunday, 9 days in all.

First order of business was fix the "leak" from the AC unit. Basically, the condensor was pooling water onto the the top of the rear deck, soaking the carpet. Simple enough fix. This was due to the drain hose having been loose on the passenger side causing the housing to collect the water instead of putting it outside.

Second order, was to get a new muffler. The exhaust system had been pretty rusty when I bought the Syncro in CA, but on the last day of the trip, the muffler burst its seams. The local Midas shop looked at the muffler and pointed out to me that some of the other exhaust pipes were cracked or missing bolts. So this will be a bit more involved than I had envisionaged.

Third, I'm getting that oil leak fixed (and the engine/trans cleaned afterwards).

Fourth, the starter will be replaced.

Gee, after 4000 miles, maybe I should get a tune up too :)

So I dropped it at the dealer for the work (don't worry, I >CAN< afford this). The shop manager who had taken my work order was taking a break a few minutes later (I was waiting for my ride to come by) and was looking over the Vanagon. I asked if he was just inspecting it, or admiring it. He admitted he was admiring it. Noting that the paint and body were in fantastic shape (as well as all the exterior plastic and chrome bumpers.) I pointed out that the interior was just as pretty (original seats, but looking new, due to the original owner keeping them covered in sheepskins for almost the entire 12 year history of the bus.)

As I've pointed out to my room mates, any dirt on the inside, I tracked in.

So, the first two owners kept it in good shape and started a rehab (repainting the exterior and rechroming the bumpers), and I'll finish the job by getting the mechanicals in prime condition. Sorta neat to look at a 12 year old vehicle and see that it looks factory fresh. :)