Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:15:21 +0100
From:         alun miller <kabbouter@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Cruise Control ??
Comments: To: "John P. Stoneback" <jps@CATWOMAN.CS.MORAVIAN.EDU>,
          Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

John, I have cruise control on my Turbo Diesel and it appears to react in the same way as yours. It is a quite simple mechanical device, just a throttle lock and quick release mechanism. IMHO the symptoms you list are generally normal for simple fixed setting throttle cruise control. (engine has fixed fuel imput = fixed road speed) except when load exceeds fuel requirement (hills/ long grades) when loss of road speed occurs. I find it quite usual to have to just put the weight of my foot on the gas just to maintain road speed on long grades or hills, This is due to mechanical system limits, to have a system that applies more fuel or retard the exhaust to slow the vehicle to maintain a fixed road speed (+ /- 5%) require complicated sensing and control and fuel management systems. (if yours has a vacuum servo to control the throttle setting check it for air leaks or may be weak/broken springs on throttle linkage)

"Dusty and the Luggage" -----Original Message----- From: John P. Stoneback <jps@CATWOMAN.CS.MORAVIAN.EDU> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, May 29, 1998 5:34 PM Subject: Cruise Control