Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 May 1998 20:33:55 +1000
From:         Jack Newton <johnn@TRIODE.NET.AU>
Subject:      Coolant Pipes
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU>

While looking for the cause of a coolant leak at the junction of one of the long plastic coolant pipes and the radiator hose on my '89 Transporter, I found that the reason for the leak was that the end of the coolant pipe, where there should be a bead/flange, had been broken off and, consequently, over a period the hose worked its way loose. I then found that the other pipe's end flange also was broken.

The price of one new pipe is $A150 (about $US90).

Bentley says the gas tank must be removed when going from metal to plastic pipes but it is not specific about whether the fuel tank has to be removed when replacing one of these pipes.

Has anyone experience of repairing one of these plastic pipes, for example, by the use of a metal sleeve? If not, will I have to remove the gas tank to replace the pipe and,if so, what sort of problems should I expect in doing the job?

I hope the listees can help with advice on this

TIA

Jack Newton Sydney Australia 1989 Transporter Safari