Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 1998 15:01:27 -0100
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Source for Koni shocks in BC?
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> The KYB's are fine as a general replacement shock, but they are second-rate > compared to the more expensive konis and bilstiens when it comes to performance. > I suspect you sell dozens of the KYB's a week because they are cheap, not > because they are the best shock.

Right. So basically we agree. To quote myself... "The Bilstien is probably a better shock than the KYB, but at about 4x the price it's not for everybody.... So if you have the bucks, buy the Bilstien. But if you can't afford them, I personally wouldn't hesitate to recommend the KYB's as a good overall performer and a cut above the Monroes, etc. typically sold for about the same price."

> I guess I should buy the bilstiens elsewhere?

If you'd like. But I think I have the best prices on them. :-)

> Gee, sorry Ron. I guess "this person" was off by what, $2.50 - > $3.00...WOW, clearly NO factual basis there.

Not to split hairs, but to my math the difference between $12 and $20 is not "$2.50 or $3.00." Actually it's more like 40 percent.

> But when you're selling dozens of sets a month, who cares. Preserve that market!

This is really the reason why I'm responding, because it really has me pissed off. I merely presented a different opinion from yours on the KYB's (which I think had at least some validity, based on experience with hundreds of them), and corrected a simple factual error about their cost. No insult was intended, or for that matter delivered.

On the other hand, I can't say the same about your response. You are implying that I would recommend an inferior product simply to make a few bucks, and I deeply resent that implication. Where do you come off accusing me of being that kind of person? I take pride in my honesty and integrity, and my reputation on the list, both as an individual and a merchant, upholds that. I would NEVER recommend a product that I didn't feel comfortable about, or wouldn't use myself. Period. (In fact I do have KYB's on my own '89 Westy.) You should think twice before casting aspirations on someone's charactor with no basis in fact. Nearest I can tell, you're just pissed off because I didn't agree with your opinion about the KYB's, and corrected a factual error on your part. That's no reason to go slinging insults.

If you get pissed off when someone posts an opinion that disagrees with yours, to the point of responding with insults, then perhaps you're missing the point of the Vanagon list itself - an open exchange of opinions and experiences, whether or not they happen to agree with yours.

Steve, you've been a good customer of mine in the past, and I hope you will continue to be, whether or not you agree with my opinion on the KYB's. But I feel that your response was inappropriate and uncalled for. I'm sure that your implication was not intended to piss me off as it did. I was just going to let it go, but try as I could, I just couldn't swallow it.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW