Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jun 1998 20:56:07 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bed slat info needed
Comments: To: mholser@ADOBE.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Malcom; There are seven long and five short. Three long on the driver side, four on the passenger side. The two nearest the edge skip one trough, the rest skip two. The engine cover appears to be a marine grade plywood with a laminate on top. I reproduced the slates out of pressure treated one by twos. I fabricated a special jig for the table saw to recreate the angles. I wish I would have used some silicone underneath them to keep the dirt out though. Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998 09:36:42 -0700 Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM> writes: >Well, all these Doublecab for sale reminded me of a question I wanted >to >ask the list. > >My doublecab is missing the wood bed slats, and the holes in the bed >are >all welded up. They did a very good job -- so good that I can't tell >where all of the slats go. It appears that a slat goes in every other >trough. Some of welds would indicate that there was one every third >trough, though. > >Somebody in San Jose makes repro bed slats for old trucks. He uses >beech, >which he claims is what VW used originally. Anybody know about >Vanagon >slats? How many should there be, and how many of each length? I'm >going >to buy a set from this guy, and trying to fit them to my truck soon. >I >plan on using rivnuts instead of rivets, with brass or stainless >screws >so that the slats are removable. > >A second weirdness about my truck is that the particle-board engine >hatch >has been replaced with aluminum diamond-plate. I'm planning on >fabricating >a new hatch out of corrugated steel to match the bed, and having the >wood >slats continue across the hatch. Does anybody know of a place to get >the >material (like a bed repair panel)? > >Malcolm Holser >

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]