Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jun 1998 14:43:32 -0400
From:         David Raistrick <keen@FINALLY.ATLASTA.NET>
Subject:      Aircooleds and Timing...

Hmm.

Fiddling with the 82, making sure everything is up and up for the trip to PA wendsday....

Timing. In my experiance with aircooled engines, it has always been welladvised for one's total advance to never be above 32 degrees.....

I'm looking at the Bentley (80-82), and it says for the timing to be set at 7.5 degrees BTDC..at idle, etc etc.

With that done, I checked the total advance..(This is a new distributer, replaced by the PO when the old one had to much play...same #'s, though. Still have the old one.) At around 3600-3800 RPM, we're off the scale! And the scale ends at 40, for those that dont remember....:)

Now, this beast runs fine, though. Cooler than Itchigo's been running these past few 100+ degree days....No troubles at all. Hrm.

Bentley says 21-25 degrees of centrifugal advance at 3400 rpm...and 8-12 degrees of Vacuum advance at 200 mm Hg... Unfortunetly, I dont have access to a vac. gauge anymore, so I cannot check that...But I would assume that this means a total of up to 38 degrees, plus what's dialed in at idle...right?

So, 38, plus 7.5, gives me 45.5 degrees of total advance. Just seems very strange to me....Anyone want to comment?

thanks....david

-- David Raistrick '69 Westy-Itchigo keen@finally.atlasta.net '82 Westy-Baby Maxine (Mom's) '66 SO-44 Westy (coming soon!) in Augusta Ga