Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jun 1998 22:10:50 -0400
From:         Linda Bartnik <bartnik@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      '81 compression update & questions
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

Hey all, Well the '81 is still giving me fits.

It's still running too hot. I'm trying to find out why. I had recently replaced the small vacuum hoses on my air-cooled engine and last night I replaced the larger vacuum hoses (which were in pretty bad shape) with good ones from my spare engine. The hoses I replaced are the two fabric hoses attached to the deceleration valve, the hose from the S-boot to the auxiliary air regulator and the hose from the air regulator to the air distribution box.

Tomorrow I'm going to the local VW FLAPS and getting a complete set of the fuel injector seals (possible vacuum leak source) and the four very large very short sections of braided hose that connect the air distribution box to the four pipes on top of the engine. While I'm in there, are there any other possible vacuum leak sources I should check out? What about the intake air pipe - to - cylinder head gaskets. Do those need periodic replacement?

As far as compression, here's the deal. Number 1 is still kinda iffy. I've found that if I adjust the valves as they should be (hydraulic lifters, remember -- contact + 1 turn), then I get very low compression. If I adjust them to contact + 1/2 turn, I get better compression and if I take them to contact + "a little more" then I get quite good compression. However, I feel like the fact that I can't get decent compression when I have the valves adjusted like they're supposed to be indicates that I have a somewhat serious valve-related problem. I'm beginning to suspect a receding valve seat on number 1 exhaust. I've noticed that when I adjust both valves for #1 to the same spot, then the adjuster screw for the exhaust valve sits with more threads showing than the intake valve adjuster. It also appears that the stem for the exhaust valve is sitting up higher than that of the intake valve. I tried the straight edge test but I'm not sure it told me anything one way or the other.

Basically, is there anything else I can do with the engine in the car to further diagnose this problem or is the above information enough to tell those in the know what sort of problem I have? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks, Sean Bartnik Johnson City, Tennessee '81 Vanagon L Westfalia