Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 01:07:29 EDT
From:         ThingGuy@AOL.COM
Subject:      BOTBR
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: vintagebus@type2.com

I just needed to say I had a fantastic time. the location was great, the weather beautiful and the buses were plentiful and the company couldn't of been better.

I met a bunch of you guys and gals, and remet a few too.

I left St. Louis about 1am on Friday morning and drove almost straight through. My newly installed gauges became an obsession as I watched closely as the oil temp went slowly up to 230. The bus performed fantastic, but it was hard to enjoy watching the temp gauge the whole time. I got stuck in traffic on I-40 and was totally freaked out to watch the temp go to 250. I pulled over and let her cool down.

On the Blue Ridge Parkway one of my CVs began the death rattle. I had inspected the boots before I left and found no problems. I t really only takes a pin hole to throw all the grease out. I rolled into camp late afternoon and forgot all about the CV until I left on Sunday.

Sunday afternoon leaving a little later than I should have, I headed out after saying the goodbyes, and had to stop for the impromptu group picture.

I stopped at the K-mart in Ashville and bought a little grease gun, but no CV grease. I then stopped at the local chain auto parts store to also find no CV grease. I had to track down a NAPA to find the stuff. I pumped all the universal grease out of the cartridge and then squeezed the CV lube in. Using a hypo needle attachment to the grease gun, I lubed up all four CVs and then sealed the tiny holes with rubber cement. All of this effort didn't quiet the death knock any.

I stopped a little down the road for gas, and the bus wouldn't start. I tightened up the belt, and then pop started it. I had the same problem later that evening and had to get a jump start.

Just east of Illinois the bus just died on the highway. I pulled it over and found a wire off the coil. I replaced the wire but again the bus wouldn't start. I then cleaned the battery connections up and she fired to life.

By this time it was real late so I pulled into a State Park campground just inside Illinois. Got up at 5am to make it to work by 8:30. I started the bus up and had this little old lady in her nightgown yell at me for trying to skip out without paying.

Sorry if I don't know the routine. There were no signs and no instructions so how was I to know that I had to find the campground host and pay her. Somehow I didn't think she would of enjoyed being awakened at 1 am. Anyway, I paid up and took off. No problems except for the CV knock at low speeds.

Heading home after work, I had my throttle cable work it's way loose and I had to stop and fix.

All in all a great trip. No major problems, though I need to do some CV work. I wish I paid more attention to some of those CV posts from the past.

Happy Camping!

Steve '74 Campmobile New German Side Tents at: http://members.aol.com/tentinfo