Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 01:28:53 -0400
From:         "Joseph J. Liasse" <jliasse@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: location of fuel filter 85 vanagon
Comments: To: Judith Barr/Leo Girard <lgirard@BMTS.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The following is for an 83.5 watercooled. I think your 85 is the same. If so what you are looking for should be in plain sight pretty much where everybody described it. There should be no need to take off any plates at all. Your fuel filter is a simple 2 inch plastic cube with 2 tubes, one stick out of each end, probably white and will be sitting directly in front of your fuel pump which looks kind of like a long oversized steel black hotdog (or a good kosher dill) with 2 wires connected to it. The hose between the filter and the pump is maby 2 nches long so if you find one you find the other. The normal fuel flow is from the gas tank in the front of the van, through the filter, through the pump, to the engine. Fuel filters have a front and a back and are made so the gas only flows one way. If you allready have your new filter take a look at the ends where the fuel lines go. You will notice that they are of different sizes so he filter only goes on one way and cannot be installed backwards. There is probable a small arrow on your new filter that indicates the direction. This arrow will be washed off as soon as it is in contact with the gas. If so dont worry, the different size of the hoses will guide you. I forget which end goes in what direction but dont sweat that. The different sizes are plainly visable so you will see what goes where when you are under the van. One thing to note. YOUR FUEL SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED!!! Even now as it is parked in the driveway with the engine off and you have not driven it since you cant remember when THE PRESSURE IS STILL THERE!! There are two ways to overcome this. 1.If you look through the repair manuals you will see instructions on how to relieve the pressure. 2. Do what I do and just get ready for about a pint of gas to come shooting out when I get the hose off. After the initial one pint "woosh" the pressure is relieved but there will be a pretty steady flow that can be easily stopped up with some make shift "corks" that can be shoved into the hose ends (golf tees, big nails, and the like). As long as you know the "woosh" is coming and you have some kind of catch basin ready to catch the gas and are fairly quick its really no problem. (Unless your cigar smoking neighbor picks that time for a chat)

Last point. If you have no idea when the last time the filter was changed it has probably been a WHILE. In which case you are probably going to have some trouble getting the hose off the old filter as they have a tendency to sort of "glue" themselves on. Take it easy and be patient as you work things loose (a gentle, repeated, push, pull, twist, with maby a cuss or two after the first 15 minutes) and dont pull too hard. The hose is tough but not indestructable.

-----Original Message----- From: Judith Barr/Leo Girard <lgirard@BMTS.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, June 01, 1998 11:42 PM Subject: location of fuel filter 85 vanagon Thanks to all who replied re fuel filter replacement. Most told me to look under the van, passenger side near sliding door and that "it should be hanging there". I did find a number of lines and tubes that disappear behind protective plates. Behind which should I look for the fuel filter? Do I have to remove one/all of these plates? Which one(s)? Thanks Leo

[text/html]