Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:28:31 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Maitenance Philosophy
Comments: To: vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I read Cory's recent observation that all vanagons fall within one of three categories with great interest. the categories were something like: (1)low mileage not yet in need of repairs; (2) 100,000 mile range needing or soon to need some significant maitenance; (3) 100,000+ range where significant maitenance needs have been ignored, often to the point of some type of mechanical failure.

My van is in the near-100,000 mile range. I find that people think I am crazy for the type of maitenance I want to do, such as: replace all motor-tranny mounts; replace all front end bushings; replace all wheel bearings; replace water pump (keep old one with 50k miles as spare); rebuild alternator; replace rear swing arm bushings; replace coolant hoses/fuel lines; do a pre-emptive head gasket replacement. These maitenance tasks will be spread out over the next 9-to-12 months...unless I need a new transaxle$$$. I have done brakes/shocks/replaced rear cv's/lubed front cv's/02 sensor/AFM/coolant temp sensor/changed all fluids/tune up in the last few months, among numerous other things.

Am I really crazy for appraoching vehicle maitenance this way and wanting to replace things before they break? My mechanical background is maintaining racing dirt bikes, and this is how I approached maitenance in that context: any mechanical failure was a failure of the mechanic to anticipate and pre-empt it. And a mechanical failure during a race was the ultimate shame and failure. Hence, for every hour of track time, the bike got about 4 hours of prep/maitenance time. Also, peak performance could be had only with a bike maintained at specs.

A production road vehicle is a little different, of course. I have done a fair amount of moderate off-roading, though, and a little where conditions were pretty rough...so althjough the vehicle has been well maintained, it has had harsher treatment in some respects than a purely pavement vehicle. At 100,000 miles, I would expect that many of the components mentioned above will have begun to wear and could fail here and there over the next couple of years. Maybe just replacing one will not make a big difference, but doing all of them (and what others?) should result in some tangible improvement in performance....even if it's just in the way the vehicle "feels". Not only that, but the peace of mind knowing that the vehicle is in top condition given the costs of a breakdown way out in the backcountry seems worth it to me...on top of the satisfaction of keeping a really neat vehicle in prime condition. Besides...I hate doing things piecemeal one at a time. Does anyone else share my maitenance philosophy? steve 1990 syncro westfalia