Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 01:18:15 -0700
From:         Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      88 Syncro; erratic idle, missing, vibrations/longish
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Greetings again. Along with startup surges, new challenges. My idle is doing strange things. Has a shudder in it, kinda shakes the van, then smooths outs for a bit. Almost like a miss in the firing. Worse when it is has been running for awhile. When you turn off the motor it shudders, almost like it wants to run on, but doesn't. Same if you start up and the motor is warm. Starts with a shudder. And then I have these vibrations ( driveshaft is out )which are most noticable at 3000 rpm, and especially 4000 rpm. Almost like a double vibration. Also pronounced when de-accelerating at the same points in the rpm band, but includes 2600 rpm. Usually pretty smooth over a 100 km per/h, although there have been times when it feels rough. Just returned from a 600 km day trip and half the trip the motor felt rough, and then like a switch, it smoothed right out for the other half of the trip. I have checked and replaced numerous parts as mentioned in previous postings. Other checks have been made: tranny & motor mounts. Tranny mounts are fine, but hard to tell on motor, but they appear fine. The vibrations don't feel anything like CV's. Those I have felt before. Took the van in to a local VW dealer and had the timing, mixture, etc. done on their equipment. 02 sensor working fine, CO set within limits, timing right on, but the HC'S were high. 400%. Could not bring it down. The technician was also concerned with this, so he did a compression test. 130,145,145,165. Possibly a case of carbon build up. Injected fuel soaking up in the carbon at startup. Lots of unspent fuel. Tried decarbonizing, then a crankcase purge. That helped a noisy lifter and changed the compression readings. Now at 145,175,175,150. In the end, not much changed, a bit smoother. Also of note, mileage seems ok in city and hwy., but long hwy drives leave a blackened tail pipe. Tail pipe remains clean in city driving. Maybe I need a leakdown test to determine more. It was suggested that cam lobes could be be worn, sticking or an unseated valve. Has anyone on the list experienced similiar problems? Does this sound like a mechanical problem, or an FI problem? Thanks for taking the time to read this. Randy