Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:14:18 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: Maitenance Philosophy: Coolant Hoses
Comments: To: "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 08:09 PM 5/31/98 -0500, Mark B. Magee wrote: >Agreed, maintenance is critical: Riddle me this, should we ever >consider, at some point (time/mileage) consider replacing all >wasserboxer coolant hoses. I understand that they are much higher >quality than that of the American steel of late, and that all new hoses >cost around $600 USD's. When one goes, should should the rest "go", that >is get replaced? I have been researching/pondering this for some time >and any experience/feedback appreciated. >BTW: I have 2x $600 USD's potential jobs. >Almost forgot, what of pressurized coolant tank, should it be expected >to fail at a certain point. >Please don't throw in heater cores, valves, radiators etc in this mix, >that might blow -my- headgasket (my budget of course!).

I had originally planned to replace all my coolant hoses this summer. My van is now 11 years old and I figured this would be good preventative maintainence. After inspecting the hoses closely though I've changed my mind. The hoses appear to be in excellent condition. I did replace some of the small hoses that run around the top of the engine compartment as they were starting to look a bit rotten. I'll keep a close eye on the other hoses and will replace them (probably all of them at once) when I notice any weakness.

-Mark McCulley 87 syncro Westfalia