Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:01:46 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      pressurized coolant tank
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> Almost forgot, what of pressurized coolant tank, should it be expected > to fail at a certain point.

...and...

> My coolent tank > was replaced last year when I showed some small cracks.

These tanks do not seem to age very well -- the plastic eventually becomes brittle and the constant pressure cycles crack it. Fortunately, these are not all that expensive (even at the dealer) and several list vendors carry them. Probably a better bet for routine replacement than many of the hoses.

Also a good bet for replacement (if it is still there) is the plastic elbow fitting on the right head rear. This was superceded by a metal version. If you have a Syncro, the "manifold" bit that sits below the right side of the firewall is another weak link in the cooling system.

The life of belts, hoses, and other rubber/plastic bits seems to vary enormously by area. I would suspect that UV exposure and ozone exposure play major roles here. If you live in an area where the plastic and rubber is degrading, it is a reasonable bet that all such parts are decaying at similar rates. "Clumping" repairs is probably wise. I'd suggest that the three little rubber donuts in the steering gear be checked as well. The two below the van seemto be more prone to rot than the one inside. Get the real parts here -- they cost almost US$20 each but the originals are very well made.

Where I live, UV is the main problem, and *anything* that is in the sunlight goes quickly, but stuff under the bus lasts very well...

Malcolm Holser