Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 12:10:31 -0400
From:         PAT <pdooley@GTE.NET>
Subject:      DIY AC
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Well, you guys will probably think I am the cheapest sob on the list. My friend's 85 scirocco was purchased used with no condenser. The car was hit lightly in the front and repaired, with the exception of the AC. We got a condenser out of the yard for 15 bucks, and a new dryer local for 20. Went to the FLAPS known for its cheap AC prices and bought a 134a-12 adapter for $2, 134 oil for $5, and 3 12oz cans of 134 for $3.88 each. We pulled the compressor and drained it of the old oil, poured in the new. Hooked up the new dryer, checked the old dryer to make sure the desiccant bag was intact. All lines that were opened got new orings. We did not pull a vacuum on the system, kinda hoping the new dryer would take care of that. Pulling the air out is a good idea, so the refrigerant is not diluted. Hooked the 134 can up to a cheapy installation rig and put 12V to the compressor clutch to make it suck the 134 in. We did this yesterday and it is blowing cold. I did another car this way over a year ago and it is still blowing cold.

The counter guy at the FLAPS said he converted his wife's minivan to 134 3 years ago, and it works great to this day. He said he just purged the R12, added the new oil on top of the old, and recharged.

For the DIY person, this is really not that difficult. I would suggest someone with a little more money bring the car to a shop to at least get the system pulled down and leak checked. Follow this advice at your own discretion. Anyone without a good working knowledge of the dangers involved with AC repair should not attempt these procedures.

-----Original Message----- From: Fred Younger <f1y@CSM1.DOIT.WISC.EDU> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, June 02, 1998 9:05 AM Subject: Re: AC