Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:58:15 -0700
From:         t bill <tbil@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Coolant Hoses
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Well, this is nice! I just returned to the list and was planning to post on coolant hoses and find a discussion underway!

A hose blew on my 83.5 Westy and I figured that it was time to replace them all.

The consensus seems to be that the hoses are good for 10 years, but after that they should be replaced.

Now we need a good sorce for hoses. Any ideas? I emailed Bus Depot some time ago, no reply. Would like to get the job done for much less than the $600 Mark quotes. Can it be done?

TBill

---Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > Mark, > > The answer is "yes". I reccommend going to a FLAPS to try to match a > few hoses, but sadly, you're going to have to go to the dealer for the > rest- long waits and bug bucks. ~~~~:(!#$%!@ > > Ironically, NAPA sells the hoses going to and from the radiator for > the expected price. Go there, because the trip is worth the $$ saved, > even for those couple hoses. > > Replacement is generally not too hard, EXCEPT the heater hose going > from the right head to the T-piece connecting to the rear heater (the > telltale hose that blew for me). Be careful not to knock anything out > of place when you remove, and more critically, install that one. I > found an ad-hoc ground strap this way. > > Try your best to collect all the hoses you'll need to do the > replacements in one sitting. That will mean that you only need to go > through the convoluted process of filling the system once. > > Best of luck, > Sam > > > > > ---"Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET> wrote: > > > > Agreed, maintenance is critical: Riddle me this, should we ever > > consider, at some point (time/mileage) consider replacing all > > wasserboxer coolant hoses. I understand that they are much higher > > quality than that of the American steel of late, and that all new > hoses > > cost around $600 USD's. When one goes, should should the rest "go", > that > > is get replaced? I have been researching/pondering this for some time > > and any experience/feedback appreciated. > > BTW: I have 2x $600 USD's potential jobs. > > Almost forgot, what of pressurized coolant tank, should it be expected > > to fail at a certain point. > > Please don't throw in heater cores, valves, radiators etc in this mix, > > that might blow -my- headgasket (my budget of course!). > > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> > > Shalom > > Mark B. Magee > > 87GL > > 91 Westy > > 96 Suzuki 4WD Sport > > Kemah TX USA > > John 14:6 > > > > _________________________________________________________ > DO YOU YAHOO!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com >