Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jun 1998 12:59:58 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: pre-pump fuel filter
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, Douglas_M_BENSEN@UMAIL.UMD.EDU

> I have a question concerning the fuel filter in front of the fuel pump. I > understand that there was either a recall or a technical service bulletin on > the removing this filter from the system. Not sure which one or what years > it effected, just doing this from memory. What I thought the dealer was > to remove the pre-filter all together and replace it with fuel line. In the > last week or so I see a lot of people replacing this filter. The part seems to > be available. I'm just wondering why? Has anything changed? My '86 does > not have the filter, I assumed the required action had been taken before I > became the owner. I like the idea of filtering the fuel before it goes through > our expensive fuel pumps, but I'm confused. Should I leave it as is? > Should I add the pre-filter into the system? Or should I be concerned that > other members still have them installed in their vans and this could be a > safety problem. Just wondering. >

Yes, there was a recall. The filters could crack at the seam and leak fuel. VW's recall action was simply to remove the filter altogether. The filter is commonly available, and the current ones should not have the problems of the originals.

Here's the NTSB recall info:

1986 and 1987 Vanagon (Oct. 1985 to Oct 1986) Campaign 88V038000

In line fuel filter located between the fuel tank and fuel pump could seep fuel at the seam of the plastic housing.

Should seepage occur, leaking fuel can cause a risk of fire in the presence of an ignition source.

The in line fuel filter will be replaced with a straight fuel hose.

Malcolm