Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:01:21 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Mechanics just dont listen!!!!!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

On 10 Jun 98 at 15:35, Malcolm Stebbins wrote:

> Frequently the mention of small claims court can get some results. > I had a similar situations with the local Ford dealer and my Escort > and a clutch stutter. He knew that me representing myself and him > hiring a lawyer and my complaint being a matter of public record > (not to mention the BBB) would mean that he would loose more money > than just absorbing the cost over-run. He decided to cover the > whole thing, just as we agreed - before the work started. For the > record, I never got mad at him, I just assertively suggested what my > options were and that I was prepared to do, and I refused to accept > his explaining away his shop's incompetence of the moment. I had to > go throught 2 levels of management, but it worked. > > > Hi all,

The key is "never got mad"... These guys get even more stubborn as you get more angry with them. When I was sold an '84 Westy with stuck thermostat and leaky gas tank, I did my homework, and found that it is *illegal* in BC to sell, or attempt to sell, any vehicle without all safety equipment operating, which includes the fuel system. After mentioning this to the dealer, he claimed that he would fix everything before returning the van to me. Of course, I told him I would put a stop payment on the cheque just in case, which he said was no problem. Sure glad I did, cuz I never liked the dealer much, and never felt comfortable with his last minute fixup, and we found a better, newer van for less money. But had I lost my temper with this guy (as I've been known to do) I don't think he would have even offered to fix it, and I might have had a battle to deal with.

btw: the dealer was a Saturn dealer. So much for caring for the customer and all that cr*p.

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School 250-743-6240 swright@sls.bc.ca