Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:20:00 +0200
From:         Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@SWIPNET.SE>
Subject:      Driveability
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi there Vanagonners! I was looking through my collection of old Automotive litterature the other day when at one page I stumbled over the Chevy Corvair! Yes, that very same car that Ralph "unsafe at any speed" Nader got his fame and fortune out of! Which brought a lot of questions to my mind: Wasnīt that car drawn by an idiot that thought that rear engine & rear wheel drive was a good idea? And isnīt there a familiar sound to that concept, must have been copied from somewhere else... Yes I know, It`s those Porches, - compleatly unpredictable, will never sell! Well they have been sold for some 50 years now and are rated as a really safe and entertaining car to drive. AHA, there it is, the Mr Naderīs of this world donīt want us to have fun! I mean, I get the same rush out of driving my Vanagon at 50mph down the graveled back roads here as I got out of the souped up Volvo 142 that I used to have (even though I do not travel as fast) : ( . But itīs not half as scary as driving the front engined ,front wheel drive Saab the same roads at the same speed ! The Saabīs are concidered to be safe cars to drive, and I agree, Itīs totally predictable going straight forward on paved road. And no fun at all! But when it gets slippery I prefere to have trh rear end sliding around to loosing grip of the frint wheels- no steering! (BTW,isnīt driving the fwd pretty much as going in reverse with the rwd ,rear engine, the same stupid weight distribution!)

Hmmmm.... Alloy wheels, Koni/KYB shocks, cut off coilsprings, swaybar reinforcement, TURBO, some bodychop, and I made a real killer out of the Vanagon! No donīt worry, Iīm really happy with the Van as it is but sometimes your thoughts fly away a little bit...... Happy weekend... Calle, -88 Vanagon etc. Mullhyttan Sweden

BTW: I followed some pic. links and found endless rows of Vanagons from some US- meeting :-) You guys are really something out of the ordinary! Whish I could be there with ya!! :->