Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jun 1998 01:09:10 -0700
From:         Bruce Ralphs <bar@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Beetle crash test -> vanagon?
Comments: To: Tom Carrington <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>,
          Vanagon Listserve <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

>I came across this while browsing. It's the crash test footage from the >new Beetle. I was suprised at how well it held up! > >http://www.hwysafety.org/crash/sm4dr/beetle.htm

So was I. Now the only stupid thing is...I want one: TDI Auto with roof in yellow!

Nearly bought a TD Golf 3 weeks ago but will wait for the above mainly due to the crash tests being so good.

RE Vanagon:

Anybody really know how good the Vanagons are in frontal crashes...have heard surprisingly good RUMOURS.

My wife was T-Boned in our Westy by a '91 Caddy Seville last June at the back of the sliding door and into the rear wheel. Spun her 270 degrees on dry pavement. Caddy had to be towed as hood buckled up 2 feet at front right and engine damaged...westy drove home after replacing shredded tire and wrecked rim, albeit with a noisey CV joint.

No lasting effects, good repair. The main frame cross-member (if you call it that) must've taken most of the impact because our damage was really minimal comparitively. Auto tranny and drive train was fine except for the CV joints that side.

Any other experiences/comments?

TIA, Bruce

Bruce Ralphs, Victoria, BC '85 Westy, auto, 142K 250-727-7617 '91 Passat, 95K 250-727-7685 fax '83 GTI, 256K