Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:42:48 -0400
From:         Mark Schrope <mschrope@VIMS.EDU>
Subject:      It's not my fault.
Comments: cc: Bill@FREEHOLDER.COM

Several years ago my 81 died in Arizona (I lived in Florida at the time). I had a new engine put in and went to drive it back to Florida. After spending all that money I was quite pleased to hear the ever increasing volume of a bad CV joint. Not knowing about the list then, or any of the fix-it tricks, or how to do it myself I was at the mercy of a mechanic in San Antonio. I think he set me up with one joint for the bargain basement price of about $200. Wish I remembered the name so I could warn everyone about them. Anyway, I made it back to Florida fine, but shortly after the joint seized up. My trusted mechanic said when they broke it down it had not a speck of grease on it. He said the Texas mechanic must not have greased it. Guess what they said- "It's not my fault." They swore up and down that they greased it properly, and I think they were telling the truth. They said they thought it was odd that when they had gone to work on the bad one, there was no grease to be found then either. I'd love to know what could have caused this- boot not connected right? It doesn't seem like a crack could let you lose all the grease. So, maybe it really wasn't your fault, but hope you can figure it out so it doesn't happen to you again

Mark '89 Wolfsburg

Mark Schrope Virginia Institute of Marine Science PO Box 1346 Route 1208, Greate Road Gloucester Point, VA 23062 (804)684-7220 [office] (804)684-7675 or 7007 [labs] (804)684-7250 [fax] ______________________________________________________________________________