Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jun 1998 09:00:05 -0700
From:         Bill Fryer <bill.fryer@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Message from  Hans Roos,
              Subject: Re: Tire Question (27x8.5x14 vs 205/40 14)

I too had been lured by the look and apparent toughness of the larger, off-road tires - I had Goodyear ATs - and found them to be problematic. They gave my Syncro a little more ground clearance, but seriously affected my ability to climb long hills and maintain way in the high winds around here (southern Nevada and Utah). I have gone back to 205/70X14s - Michelin MXTs - which are very high-rated (1709 lbs per tire) compared to the ATs (1518 lbs), and the difference in vehicle performance is significantly improved with little loss of off-road performance. And I don't have to slip the clutch nearly as much. I find these tires a much better choice - and I still go all over off-road