Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:11:25 -0700
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon buying advice needed
Comments: To: mac stricklen <mac_stricklen@YAHOO.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Mac,

I would jump the van and see how it runs, and base my buying decision on how strong the engine is. My situation was similar, but because the engine ran like a dream from a recent rebuild (never mind that the water pump had a C-CLAMP on it!!!!) I bought it and fixed it.

The battery is most likely out because there is an electrical leak somewhere, and the PO had problems with batteries going constantly dead. There is a thread in the archives about this, mostly with input by me and a few others.

Windshields love to crack in Vgons. I would look in an ad bulletin for someone with a parts Vgon ('80-early '86) for a windshield, which will cost ~$100. There are listees with seats, etc. for sale, so definitely check that one out. As for locks, trim, and stuff, you ought to subscribe to Rocky Mountain Motorworks' catalogs, because they stock most of this stuff, and in many cases, some vendors will base their price on a markdown from the RMMW price if they have the part, so it still pays to have the catalog. Locks are best bought new.

CHECK THE COOLANT HOSES, TOO.

SO, the decision then rests on how strong the motor is. If you have no compression tester, bum a friend's. If compression is low somewhere, move on to the next van. If not, jump the van again and watch out for how the coolant temp gauge reacts. If there is blinking, you're in for some more parts and sweat equity. While the motor is running, check all the electrical accessories, especially the ones vital to passing state inspection. Lastly, test-drive like you would any used car, to see if you need bearings, brakes, rotors, clutch, etc. and to see if your tranny has problems (with 150K, it's a concern.)

If the PO won't let you do that, thank him for his time and drive away.

If everything you test checks out fine, though, you're basically going to buy a $1500 van on the Parts Payment Plan- IF you spend frugally- so just budget for it. If the bus is strong other than in the apparent problem areas, it will be worth it.

Just to be on the safe side, though- look for other buses. I know time is tight on this, but there is no substitute for shopping around. Be loose with model years (there isn't exactly a glut in the used VW van market). Resign yourself to the fact that you won't find a kick-ass '71 in most cases.

Sorry to waffle, but this is stuff I wish people would have told me when I was a Wannabuser. That's why I'm posting a copy to the list.

Best of luck, and welcome, Sam

---mac stricklen <mac_stricklen@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > Hello, > > I'm new to the list having recently subscrived because I wanted to > eventually buy a Vanagon, and wanted to make a reasonably informed > decision when I did. My plan was to lurk on the list for a while > soaking up knowledge from those in the know. However, I have already > found a potential purchase and I haven't really had time to learn > much. So, if any of you would be willing to give me some advice on > whether or not to buy this van I'd really appreciate it. > > It's an '84 Vanagon with 150K miles on it. The guy wants $500 for it. > I've looked it over and there's no rust on the body or undercarriage > other than on the tailpipe. It currently lacks a battery so it won't > start, but the guys says it runs pretty well. However, he also says > that the gas tank will need to be replaced soon. He had the head > gaskets redone recently (it's water-cooled), but he says it will need > a tune up. So, bascially it seems OK on the major stuff. However, > it's pretty ugly otherwise. The windsheild is cracked (but doesn't > leak), the handle is broken off of the sliding door. The upholstery > is pretty nasty (what remains of it). The sliding windows don't lock. > There are pieces of rubber trim missing from the bumbers and the > paint on the roof has seen some sort of funky corrosion. > > To put the buy into some perspective, My wife and I own a 96 Saturn > Wagon with 50K miles and 3 years of payments left, and a 96 Nissan > Pickup with 20K miles and 2 yrs of payements to go. I live within > walking distance of work so most of the time only one vehicle gets > driven. I usually take the other one or two days a week and drive to > a favorite Mt. Biking spot about an hour away. We both feel like the > car payment and insurance on a financed second vehicle is too much for > such occasional use. However, both of these vehicles are in excellent > condition and will certainly be reliable. Is it worth it to sell one > (probably the truck) and get a 14 year old used vehicle for hauling > around bikes and kayaks and doing some camping? If so, is this the > right vehicle or should I hold out and pay a little more for one in > better shape? > > If I buy a van of this vintage what sort of problems/costs can I > anticipate down the road? > > Thanks, > mac > > _________________________________________________________ > DO YOU YAHOO!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com >