Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:49:02 +0100
From:         Don McCallum <trosgol@ENTERPRISE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro diff problem
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Mark, the three green lights works as follows, from left to right:

1. Front differential lock (if fitted - usually only on european vans). First stage is a flashing LED which is operated by a vacuum switch near the operating knob as soon as the knob is pulled out (this is because extra warning is needed on the front diff as engaging it causes significant steering loss!). As soon as the lock shaft is engaged by the vacuum servo (may take a few driveshaft revolutions) a plunger switch fitted above the shaft comes into play and makes the flashing LED solid.

2. The middle LED is for the manually operated four wheel drive which was fitted on some vans (again mainly european) instead of the more usual viscous coupling. Very rare!

3. The rear diff lock operates the right hand LED using the same plunger switch method as the front diff lock, but there is no flashing stage operated by vacuum. I assume you only have a rear diff lock, so it is likely to be this LED which is relevant to you, and you probably have only one of the three possible operating knobs fitted.

You can check the lock easily by jacking up both wheels on one side - turning one wheel should cause the other to turn if the diff is not locked. If the lock is working OK it is easy to unscrew the plunger switch and check it out (push in to make contacts). You should also be able to be able to see the vacuum servo pushing the shaft in to lock the diff. If you need to replace the servo it is less expensive than I thought it would be (£27 in the UK, thats about $42). If the shaft is seized where it enters the diff housing (not uncommon) it can be a problem to free it off - get back to me and I will give you some tips on how to free it without removing the transmission (I've just done it on mine successfully, but it wasn't easy). Hope that helps

Don McCallum (1992 1.6 Turbo Diesel Syncro, North Wales, UK)