Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:16:17 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      KYBs - the verdict
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I decided to get the KYBs at BowWow for $60 each, partly because I'm leaving in a week, and partly because I'm still unsure about dealing with the border/customs hassle.

For the record, the shocks I took off were BOGE OEM, one rear shock still had the delivery sticker to Don Valley VW in Toronto, although I couldn't see a date on it. They were oil shocks and still seemed in decent shape. The rear were a cinch to change, and the front were nearly as easy, except for the lower nut, which required a 30" breaker bar and all my strength to break free.

Impression of the KYB: dramatic, I could feel the difference just backing down my steep driveway. Went for a one hour drive - the improvement was even more dramatic on the open highway at 100 km/h. One winding stretch where most cars slow to 80, I easily breezed through in the fast lane at 100-110 without feeling the least bit unsteady. Around 110 I started to get a front end shimmy, but I rarely drive this fast.

Over a few tricky road sections, I think I could tell what Steve is getting at about the KYBs vs. the Bilsteins: Sudden unusual bumps or dips can cause the KYBs to act a little unrefined, but they quicky recover, and are still *way* better than the stock shocks. This was with an empty van, which is not typically how we travel, so the real test will come in a week when we head for the back roads.

Oh yeah, I also changed one upper ball joint, which took over and hour, as I had to cut the lower nut off. After this, it seemed the joint was pretty tight, so I left the other side. I am now wondering if the play I found with crow bar was just the control arm twisting, rather than play in the ball joint?

Any tips on how to properly diagnose play in the front end, using standard tools?

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School 250-743-6240 swright@sls.bc.ca