Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:50:58 -0700
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: new microbus from VW??
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

---Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA> wrote: > > > > > Overpriced, yes. Underpowered? Only in comparison to the magic wagons which > were then coming with V6s standard. An early 4 banger Caravan had about the > same power as the w/b Vanagons.

True, my dad bought an '84 Voyager, when they first came out. American driving requirements, especially for freeway cruising, generally involve a larger engine, which is why every automaker, VW inclusive, eventually offered a V6 in their minivans. Remember, heavy criticism was levelled at Chrysler AND Volkswagen for both having underpowered vans; Chrysler was quicker to realize this and put the turbo, and eventually the V6, in their minivans for a considerable amount of time before VW did. Look at how small the WB is (remember that the engine bay was designed to accommodate the Type IV and inline 4 diesel engines) and it is some wonder why VW didn't offer a flat-6. Perhaps the tranny can't hang with the power.

Personally, I find my '88 Westy has plenty of > power, but then I'm a long time diesel driver who's used to using the available > power effectively.

I feel similary about the '84, which has plenty of power for a Volkswagen Bus, especially off the line. However, relative to anything else, it's still slow, which proved to be a major minus regarding the saleability of the van.

> I love the Vanagon (and earlier) bus designs, but I don't think we can expect > VW to go back to a rear engine bus again. The easiest way for them to offer > more power affordably is to use an existing platform which has a V6 already. > > The EV was a flop in the US, so I don't think VW is ready to take another risk > just to satisfy the US market.

Good point. However, (this view will be unpopular on the list), Chrysler sold a van which, in many aspects, was inferior to VWs and based on that awful K-car, successfully because they did the requisite market research beforehand. The EV was designed with an apparent lack of this- if VW wanted to make a Chrysler copy, they should have designed it so it had the qualities that sold the Chrysler. Or to go another route, they should have done the research to find out that a Bus/Vanagon is a "niche" vehicle (Chrysler has already figured out about niche vehicles) and thus improve the van based on this.

Flamers, step off.

Best regards, Sam == "Punk's not dead (it just sucks right now)"

...quit whining... http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/6507